Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

Name Change

A Name Change Petition will request a court order to legally change your name or minor's name.  With a court order you can change your legal name on government issued identification documents such as your driver's license, passport, and social security card.  You will generally need a certified copy of the decree changing your name.  After you complete your paperwork, we recommend you visit the self-help center to review your documents before filing.

In partnership with the California Judicial Council and Law Help Interactive, we are pleased to provide self-represented litigants with the link below to prepare your  legal documents online.  We strongly recommend you create an account to begin completing the paperwork so you do not lose your work.

Was this helpful?